The muff of light is a fundamental element in electrical installationsboth domestic and industrial. It is a device that allows the electrical wiring to be connected to the State electricity distribution network, whether single-phase or three-phase. This connector is also used to link fiber optics, which transmit data at high speed. Learn more about what the light muff is and discover everything about this electrical device.
What is the function of the light mufa in electrical installations?
The main function of the light socket is to facilitate the connection of electrical wiring with the power distribution network. However, this device has other functions:
- The light mufa allows electric current to flow from the generator or transformer to the devices or equipment that consume it.
- This device also serves as a protection and securitysince it prevents the cables from being exposed outdoors to contact with other elements such as rain and dust.
- At the same time, it prevents sparks, short circuits or electrical overloads that could damage equipment or cause accidents.
- The light muff also has a aesthetic functionas it hides the cables and terminals, giving electrical installations a more orderly and clean appearance.
How to identify and connect the light muff correctly?
The light mufa can be easily identified, as it has very clear characteristics: it has a curved cylindrical shape It is made up of two parts: the body and the lid.
On the one hand, the body contains the terminals or terminals where the cables are connected, and on the other, the cover serves to protect electrical connection by sealing. In the latter case, the light socket must be well adjusted and insulated to prevent short circuits, leaks or fires.
For connect the light socket correctly, you will have to follow some steps:
- Choose the type and appropriate size of the light fixture according to the type and gauge of electrical wiring and the voltage and power of the electrical network.
- Turn off the power supply before manipulating the cables or the light socket, to avoid risks of electrocution.
- Strip the ends of the wires with pliers or a knife, exposing a few inches of copper.
- insert the wires through the hole in the body of the light muff, making sure that they are well secured by the washers or nuts.
- Connect the wires to the corresponding terminals or posts, following the color code: black for the neutral, red for the phase and green for the ground. In case of having a three-phase connection, three phases must be used: red, blue and yellow.
- Place the lid on the body of the light muffle, pressing until it clicks and is well closed.
- check that there are no loose or incorrectly connected cables, and that the light fixture is well fixed to the pole or support.
- turn on the power supply and check that everything works correctly.
What is the muff of light?
The mufa of light is the point of electrical system entrance to the building, house or commercial space. It is a metallic tube with a curved shape at its end with an orientation that points towards the ground to protect the installation from external elements such as water and dust. From the mufa a metal cable extends to the pole where it is connected to the public power supply.
The mufa is also a term widely used in Argentina, where superstition, bad gene or bad luck is known as “mufa”. Mufa comes from lunfardo, the popular slang of Buenos Aires, and is related to the most abundant monounsaturated fatty acid in the diet: SNP (single Nucleotide Polymorphism).
Importance in electrical connections
The light socket is an important element in electrical connections because:
- Allows the transmission of current from the pole to the meter and the fuse box or switches.
- Protects the electrical installation from possible short circuits or electrocutions caused by the contact of water with the cables.
- It complies with the regulations and requirements of power companies to ensure safety and quality of service.
Types of electric muffles and their specific uses
exist different types of electric muffles depending on the material, gauge, diameter and shape of the tube. Some of the most common are:
- galvanized muffin: It is a steel tube coated with a layer of zinc that gives it resistance to corrosion. It is used for overhead or underground electrical installations, both residential and commercial or industrial.
- PVC muffle: It is a flexible and light plastic tube that adapts to different surfaces. It is used for interior or exterior electrical installations, especially in humid places or with risk of fire.
- EMT Muff: It is a thin, smooth steel tube that can be easily bent. It is used for electrical installations exposed or embedded in walls or ceilings, mainly in buildings or commercial premises.
What is mufa in electricity?
The mufa in electricity is the entry point of the electrical connection. This rush is for where the State electrical network supplies the electricity service to the home facilities, building, office or commercial premises.
Depending on its size, the mufa can vary to adapt to the caliber of electrical wiring. However, in some places electrical registers that contain a transformer are also called mufas, and in these cases the type of circuit and power they handle can be single-phase, two-phase or triphasic.
Differences between mufa and other types of electrical connections
In addition to the mufa, there are other types of electrical connections that are used for other purposes and whose function is totally different from the function of the light mufa. Some examples are:
- the junction: It is an electrical connection that is used to lengthen or repair a cable. This consists of joining the ends of two cables of the same type and gauge, using an insulating tape or a heat shrink sleeve.
- the rule: It is an electrical connection that is used to distribute electrical current to various devices or equipment. It is a box with several plugs or sockets, which connects to a main cable.
- The switch: It is an electrical connection whose utility is to turn on or off an electrical circuit. This device opens or closes the passage of electric current, through a manual or automatic mechanism.
- The plug: It is an electrical connection that serves to connect an appliance or equipment to the electrical network. It is characterized by having two or three metal plugs that are inserted into a power outlet.