What is Tetra Pak? – Know the brand and its packaging
Tetra Pak is a leading food and beverage packaging company worldwide, its creator was the Swede Ruben Rausing. It was founded in 1951 in Sweden and since then has developed a wide range of packaging innovations that are sustainable, being used in more than 160 countries. The company is known for its distinctive tetrahedron-shaped packaging, which is strong, lightweight and easy to transport.
In addition, Tetra Pak packages are designed using sustainable technology to preserve the taste and quality of food for a long timemaking them a popular choice for packaging products such as milk, juices, soups, and other food products.
What is Tetra Pak?
Tetra Pak packages are designed to preserve the quality and taste of food and beverages for a long time, making them a popular choice for packaging products such as milk, juices, soups and other food products. The company is committed to sustainability and has implemented numerous initiatives to reduce its environmental impact and promote more responsible practices throughout its supply chain. Tetra Pak operates in more than 160 countries and has an extensive production network and distribution worldwide.
Types of Tetra Pak packages
Tetra Pak offers a wide range of packaging for food and beverages, which adapt to different needs and requirements of customers. Some of the most common types of Tetra Pak packages are:
- tetra brik: It is the classic Tetra Pak container in the shape of a parallelepiped, used for products such as milk, juices and soups.
- Tetra Prism: It is a prism-shaped container that is used mainly for dairy products and beverages.
- Tetra Rex: It is a bottle-shaped container that is mainly used for products such as milk and juices.
- Tetra Top: It is a bottle-shaped container that is used for products such as juices and sports drinks.
- Tetra Wedge Aseptic: It is a triangular container that is mainly used for sauces and liquid products.
- Tetra Fine Aseptic: It is a container in the form of an envelope that is used for liquid products such as milk and juices.
- Tetra Brik Aseptic Edge: It is a container with straight edges that is mainly used for products such as milk and juices.
Each type of Tetra Pak container is designed to meet specific packaging needs, such as content protection, durability, comfort of use and ease of transport, their only flaw is that they do not withstand high temperatures and this means that the packaging could melt. In addition, Tetra Pak packages are sustainable and designed to minimize their environmental impact.
What are the products that are packaged in Tetra Pak?
Tetra Pak is a leading food and beverage packaging company, and its product range extends to a wide variety of food products. Some of the most common products packaged in Tetra Pak are:
- Milk: Milk is one of the most common products packaged in Tetra Pak. Tetra Pak cartons help protect the quality and taste of milk for a long time.
- juices and drinks: Juices and drinks such as soft drinks, teas and flavored waters are other common products that are packaged in Tetra Pak.
- soups and broths: Tetra Pak packages are also used to package ready-to-eat soups and broths, allowing consumers to enjoy these products conveniently and quickly.
- Dairy products: In addition to milk, Tetra Pak is used to package other dairy products such as yoghurts, milkshakes and desserts.
- Pet food: Pet foods, such as wet cat and dog food, are also packaged in Tetra Pak for convenience and durability.
What are the components of Tetra Pak packages?
Tetra Pak packages are made up of several layers of different materials, each with a specific function. These are the main components of Tetra Pak packages:
- Cardboard: The outer layer of Tetra Pak packages is made of paperboard, which provides the necessary strength and rigidity to protect the contents of the package.
- Layer polymer: The inner layer of the container is made of a polymer film that helps protect the contents of the container against moisture and contamination.
- Aluminum: Between the cardboard layer and the polymer layer there is an aluminum layer that helps protect the contents of the container against light and air.
- ink: The ink used in Tetra Pak packages is made up of pigments and resins, and is used to print information and designs on the package.
- adhesives: To join the different layers of Tetra Pak packages, special adhesives are used that are non-toxic and approved for use on food products.
All these components are carefully selected and designed to ensure the safety and quality of products foods packed in Tetra Pak packages. In addition, the company is committed to sustainability and continuously works to improve the efficiency of materials and reduce the environmental impact of its packaging, so that it does not become garbage, being recyclable.
- tapas: Tetra Pak carton lids are designed to hermetically seal the contents and prevent spills and leaks. The lids can be made of different materials, depending on the type of product packed.
- nozzles: Some Tetra Pak packages, such as those used for juices and sports drinks, may include spouts that allow consumers to drink directly from the package.
- handles: For larger products, such as multi-litre milk cartons, Tetra Pak can include handles to make carrying and pouring easier.
What type of carton is used in Tetra Pak?
The cardboard used in Tetra Pak packages is made from virgin wood pulp sourced from sustainably managed forests. This is a special type of board known as ‘liquid board’, which is capable of withstanding moisture and liquids for a long period of time without losing its shape or strength.
The liquid carton used in Tetra Pak consists of several layers of intertwined and pressed cellulose fiberswhich give it high mechanical resistance and an excellent capacity to support the weight of the content and mechanical stress during transport and handling.
Tetra Pak uses advanced carton processing and treatment techniques to ensure its quality and food safety. For example, cardboard is subjected to high temperature heat treatment to eliminate any microorganism that may be present in the raw material and to sterilize the cardboard before its use in the manufacture of packaging.
How is recycling at Tetra Pak?
The recycling of Tetra Pak packages is a process that takes into account sustainability and efficiency in the use of resources. The Tetra Pak recycling process is divided into three main stages:
- Separation and collection: Tetra Pak packages are collected at authorized collection points, where they are classified and separated from other types of waste. The packaging is compressed and transported to recycling plants.
- Disintegration: At the recycling plant, Tetra Pak packages are disintegrated into a fiber paste called ‘pulp’. The pulp is subjected to a separation process to eliminate aluminum and plastic from the inner layers of the container. The resulting pulp is then sent to a papermaking plant for reuse in the production of new paper products.
- material recovery: Recovered materials, such as aluminum and plastic, are sent to plants specialized in their recycling and reuse in the production of new products.
Tetra Pak commits to promote the circular economy and reduce environmental impact of your packaging throughout the entire life cycle. In addition to its recycling program, the company works on reducing the materials used in its packaging, improving energy efficiency and reducing CO₂ emissions.