In geometry, various concepts are used that help to understand and measure the geometric figures. In addition, various terms are often used to define the measures or complete calculations of the measures of said figures, as is the case of the number π or “pi”.
Another fundamental concept in geometry is the perimeter, since with it we can measure the length of a geometric figure, being this a property present in different forms and figures. Next, we will explain a little about what the perimeter is, how to calculate it, its importance and more.
Concept of the perimeter of a geometric figure
When we talk about the perimeter of a geometric figure we refer to the longitudinal measurement of its contour or edge. Which means that, is the sum of the lengths of all the sides of a plane figure.
In general, the perimeter is used to measure the amount of space that surrounds a geometric figure, which can be expressed in units of length such as centimeters, meters, feet, etc. However, the calculation of the perimeter will depend on the type of geometric figure.
For example, to calculate the perimeter of a triangle the lengths of your three sides must be added. While, for a rectangle, double the base plus twice its height is added.
On the other hand, when speaking of a circle, the perimeter is known as the circumference. This is calculated by multiplying the diameter by “Pi” (π), which is a mathematical constant that represents the relationship between a circumference and its diameter.
On the other hand, the perimeter It is considered to be of paramount importance in geometry. Thanks to the fact that it allows us to determine the amount of material that is needed to surround a figure. In addition, it is usually widely used when calculating the area of a geometric figure, whether it is a rectangle or square.
What is the use of knowing the perimeter of a geometric figure?
The perimeter, being a basic and fundamental concept in geometry, has various jobs in different areas or sciences that involve polygons. Some of the most important uses of the perimeter are the following:
- It allows us to calculate the amount of material needed to surround a figure. It can be applied in areas such as construction of fences or installation of pipes, cables, etc..
- Makes it easy to measure the length of a route on a terrain or map. This It is very useful when planning trips.transportation routes, among others.
- When making a garmentthe perimeter helps determine the amount of fabric needed to make it.
- It is very important to calculate the area of a polygon, such as a square or rectangle. Besides, It is often useful when solving geometry problems. and in the construction of three-dimensional objects.
In general, it is very useful and relevant to know the perimeter of a geometric figure, whether working in areas such as construction, architecture, route planning or even in fashion.
What is the importance of knowing the perimeter of shapes?
Knowing the perimeter of a geometric figure is important, since it allows us to provides valuable information about the shape and outline of a figure. When we know the perimeter, we can determine the total length of the line that surrounds a figure, which is very useful when it comes to identifying patterns or symmetries in the figure.
Similarly, we helps to better understand the geometric properties of the figure in question. The calculation of the perimeter is considered a fundamental skill in geometry when used as a basis for other calculations, such as to calculate the area of some figures.
That is why knowing what the perimeter of a figure is is essential to understand and apply more advanced geometric concepts.
On the other hand, the calculation of the perimeter It is also often used in the field of natural sciences, as in biology, to measure the circumference of an object. Also, this term tends to be used in physics to calculate the length of an electrical circuit, among other things.
In this way we can understand the importance of using the perimeter of a geometric figure, since It can be applied in many sciences as well as in everyday life. or specialized fields of study.
How to find the perimeter of a figure? – General Formula
When you want to calculate the perimeter of a figure, this will depend on the type of geometric figure that is being considered. That is why, below, we will present some of the formulas for calculating the perimeter in the most common figures:
- The perimeter of a square or rhombus: to calculate the perimeter of a square or rhombus, you just have to multiply the length of one of its sides by 4. In mathematical terms, this is described as follows: P=4l, where “P” is the perimeter and “l” is the length of one of the sides of the square.
- The perimeter of a rectangle: the calculation of the perimeter of a rectangle is made by adding the length of its four sides. In mathematics, this calculation is expressed as P=2l+2w, where “P” is the perimeter, “l” is the length and “w” is the width of the rectangle.
- The perimeter of a triangle: when calculating the perimeter of a triangle, the length of each segment that makes it up must be added, in this case, its three sides. In this way, the expression to calculate it is written as follows: P=a+b+c, where “P” is the perimeter and a, b and c are the lengths of the sides of the triangle.
- The perimeter of a circle: the perimeter of a circle is known as circumference and is calculated by multiplying the diameter of the circle by π (Pi=3.14 approx.). This calculation is formulated as follows: C=πd, where “C” is the circumference (perimeter), “d” is the diameter of the circle, and π is the mathematical constant pi.